Introducing HTTP/2 & NGINX - making your website faster!
Today we activated HTTP/2 & NGINX on our dedicated web server to better your website performance!
What is HTTP/2 & NGINX you ask?
HTTP/2 is the first major HTTP protocol update since 1997 when HTTP/1.1 was first published by the IETF. The new HTTP protocol is needed to keep up with the exponential growth of the web. The successor of HTTP/1.1 brings significant improvement in efficiency, speed and security and is supported by most modern web browsers.
- HTTP/2 is binary, instead of textual.
- It is fully multiplexed, sending multiple requests in parallel over a single TCP connection.
- It uses header compression HPACK to reduce overhead.
- It allows servers to “push” responses proactively into client caches instead of waiting for a new request for each resource.
- It uses the new ALPN extension which allows for faster-encrypted connections since the application protocol is determined during the initial connection.
- It reduces additional round trip times (RTT), making your website load faster without any optimization.
- Domain sharding and asset concatenation is no longer needed with HTTP/2.
HTTP/2 introduces other improvements, for more details see: HTTP/2 RFC7540
To start using HTTP/2 on your website, you must migrate to HTTPS if you want to take advantage of the performance benefits. If your current website hosting account with Jive Media does not have an SSL certificate installed or you are unsure, please drop us an email.
NGINX (Pronounced as Engine-X) is an open source, lightweight, high-performance web server or proxy server. Nginx accelerates content and application delivery, improves security, facilitates availability and scalability for the busiest websites on the Internet.